So I really needed to use up those strawberries we picked. I originally was going to put them in the freezer, but the chance to eat fresh berry pie in the middle of October was too tempting.
A foodie friend up in Indianapolis made strawberry pie once, and I distinctly remember her mashing up fresh berries instead of using fake jello mix. There is something wrong with bright red food coloring in a pie of this nature, and with berries this sweet I wanted nothing to do with artificial flavor. So I found this recipe, after being doubtful about my attempts to wing it.
Thanks, Emeril. You got this one spot-on.
I must admit my failure...somehow I thought a recipe was for a shortbread crust...and after adding vanilla and a wee bit more water, it rolled out fine. And the ridges looked great... (I pride myself on making those, thanks Gma Mary.)
...until I baked it...
...and ended up with saggy soggy dough. Bleh. I think, after consulting my amazing cook and mother-in-law Pam, that there was too much wetness going on, and it needed more flour. *sigh* So I tried again. This recipe did well, but it needs to be chilled and have floured hands to pat out. (And mental note - grease the pie pan first!! It stuck.)
Finally got this finished about 10 pm. Whew. And it was so late the and lighting so bad this is the only finished pic I have.
But trust me, it was heavenly.
I wish you could have had some, Dad. I keep trying to think how I could get berries picked and brought down to FL for Thanksgiving, since they should go until the beginning of Dec...but I can't figure out the logistics. Bummer. We'll have to try it next year when you come through.
Best recipe I know of for pie crust is the one from Cook's Illustrated. It has, of all things, vodka in it. (The alcohol bakes away, so no worries there.)
ReplyDeletehttp://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2007/11/cooks-illustrated-foolproof-pie-dough-recipe.html
Looks yummy!