Thursday, February 2, 2012

Accentuate Groceries



Silas cracks me up. Usually his speech is a bit convoluted and I have a hard time remembering what he says. Today I was smiling about his pronunciation. 

Milk - "May-yelk" 
Help - "Hay-yelp" As in "Hay-yelp, hay-yelp, he gon git meee..." 
Yeah - "Yea-uh" 
Oh man - "Oh may-un."

Now Leon somehow did not develop this strong accent, at least not yet. An occasional word, but nothing consistent. So this continual usage is quite amusing, especially since neither Aaron or I have a strong Southern accent. Must be the mountain air. 







Nap time snack. 



Today I'm preparing for the start of our 2nd annual Theme Dinners. Each family - the Aaron Hills, the Stanley Hills, and the Sharretts, pick a theme and have a family dinner. 

Last year Pam started with a yummy down-home meal, I think it was roast beef with all the fixin's. Then we came next, and we started the themes with a Latino evening complete with salsa dancing, tamales and a corn hole competition.

Summer and Ben did a breakfast theme, and we all came in our loungy pajama clothes...the most comfy dinner I've ever been to, lol.  

So this year our theme is "Appalachia, 1920's." There will be prizes, awkward moments, good food and hopefully tons of fun. 


Speaking of food...I was so proud of my groceries yesterday that I had to take pictures. I had a cart full of fresh veggies, yesss. There are a few extras for the party, so that's why so many collards and taters, but this is pretty typical for a week or so's worth. I stay away from stuff that comes in boxes and cans as much as possible, and since my meat comes from other sources and I have a freezer full, I can get away with it. I also get some grains and bulk items like nuts from a food co-op, so any treats come from there. Although I should mention my weakness of Big Lots...we do get Wasa crackers and organic cheese puffs on occasion, if I'm being perfectly honest. 













Spinach, kale, collards, fennel and broccoli.

Mushrooms, carrots, potatoes, apples and ginger.

Sausages, cheese, peppers, bananas, yogurt and almond milk. 

$83

I'm trying to be better at putting out veggies for the kids to munch on...amazing how fast things disappear if left out. My goal is to make some hummus for dipping things in, but haven't gotten there yet. 





No comments:

Post a Comment