I think I got around to rendering lard about Wednesday. All the fat is so strange and greasy. It has to be diced up before slowly cooking over low heat for hours, which I did outside on the turkey burner because it smells nasty. Did you know it's a good source of Vit D and very valuable as a cooking oil? It has less saturated fet than butter and can take higher temps without turning carcinogenic (encouraging cancer cells to grow) like all the other veggie oils. If you really want a detailed article on which oils are the best to consume I highly recommend this article. It flies in the face of conventional "wisdom," but it makes a lot of sense.
The leaf lard around the abdominal cavity is especially prized because of it's mild flavor and flaky characteristics. It makes the best pie crust and biscuits! Seriously amazing. You can totally understand why they raised hogs back when for the cooking fat.
No comments:
Post a Comment