Tuesday, November 15, 2011

One Secret to Winter Health


Last winter I started making a list of all the natural things I wanted to do this winter to help keep us healthy. Some of that list includes supplements like Vitamins D and C, as many fresh, raw veggies as I can manage to get into our diets in these colder days, lots of green leafy stuff and garlic, and sprouts. 

The last one is something I slack on. It is hard for me to remember to rinse them 2 x's a day, but I know they are chock full of good nutrients and enzymes that can make all the difference in supporting our health. 

So I started some last Wednesday. You can get these cheap lids that screw on a wide mouth jar. That makes it easy to grow several batches at once. 

There is 1 TB alfalfa and 2 TB mung bean, which the kids love. The roots grow longer if they are in the dark, so I put them under the sink, which also makes it hard to remember them. Argh.

Soak them overnight and then start the rinse cycle for 4-7 days.




Here's Day 4, from yesterday. Make you hungry? It should. We're talkin' real food here, people. =-) 








These seeds are a bit old. Here are the stubborn, nonsprouting seeds in the bottom. Booo on you guys!!

 Today I took the alfalfa and spread them on a plate to green. I have distinct and early memories of my mom picking at the wad of sprouts in the jar to do this. They get all tangled up and need separating. 





I came up with a game to help the kids start eating sprouts...we pretend like they're little birdies and I'm the mommy giving them worms. So cute! 






Leon said, "Ooooh, ooh!" when I brought some in for a snack. Yeah! That makes me happy. We haven't had any in a while, at least he still likes them. 



Go get some sprouts! And good health to you.



No comments:

Post a Comment