I just wanted to thank everyone who visited this past week, and left such kind notes.
I must say I enjoyed the attention! *lol* I think I've been in a posting frenzy, a little.
Why? Somewhat because of being blogger of the week, but also because my husband and I are discussing making a break with a lot of the technology in our lives. I have a sinking feeling that my blogging days are numbered.
Dh has read a few books by this French philosopher named Jacques Ellul. The Technological Society is a great book. Very hard to read, requiring great concentration and thought. Fortunately my dh is able to wade through and give me the highlights! It's so challenging and thought provoking. So that kind of started it.
Also, we've been reading and discussing a book by this guy named Shane Claiborne. He is part of a group in Philly called The Simple Way. They are doing an amazing work with the abandoned and forsaken people and places. They go into houses, fix them up, live in community and share a common purse while getting to know the neighbors, help kids with homework, give out clothes and food, etc... Their whole way of thinking, and goal to get back to authentic living and following of Christ, is almost incomprehensible because I'm so far away from that kind of reality. Here's what they say.
Our Mission is:
"To Love God. To Love people. To Follow Jesus."
We're giving that our best shot.
Shane talks about how so often we give to charity, we go for a day and help someone...that part of our lives is entirely separate from our day to day living. The two don't mix, and he says that they should. That "work" with the lowly and downtrodden should be our life.
Arghh....I'm terrible at communicating these things. Just get the book...or read a sample chapter here.

Anyways, after all the talking we've done the past few years about how to truly follow Jesus, and questions we've asked, this has come the closest...indeed, we believe that it has the answers to those questions. It's definitely not what I want to hear, but I think it's the right thing to move towards. Talking isn't good enough...now we have to do something. Kind of scary, really. Moving out of my comfort zone always is. And just rejecting traditional church and Christianity isn't the answer either.
So if I actually can make myself give these things up, then I'll come and say goodbye. The TV isn't so much the problem...I think I can live without. It's the computer and internet. I have convinced myself that it's vital to my life...it almost IS my life, at times. Here I have my friends, and lots and lots of information. I'm *addicted* to information. I can get the precise recipe I want in less than 10 minutes time. I can write my family and send pictures in the blink of an eye. It's how I "meet" people and communicate and stay in touch. *sigh* Kind of sad, in a way. I stay in my house, avoiding actual human contact and relationships, which is what matters most. This would be good to force me out into my community, to meet people that need my help and that can help me. It's not fun or pretty. I'm not good at loving the unloveable, or even the unlikeable. And staying in my comfy little house doesn't allow God to supernaturally overcome my human and wrong feelings and show His true work.
Argh....the end is at hand.
God bless you little heart!! I wish my dh and I would have the courage to give things up and move ahead as you say. I really dont think I would have a problem with it, but I know my dh and ds would.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with whatever you choose to do, and go with God on your journey.
Kitty
I definitely join with Kitty in saying Go with God. I think it is wonderful that you are feeling led to live a life more connected to others. I wish it wouldn't require you to disconnect from us of course selfishly, but think it's awesome for you & your husband to be willing to do whatever God calls you to!
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
~Nancy
I am so glad that I read your blog. I checked out the chapter of your book. It is amazing and something I have been contemplating for a long time. It is so far from my reality, though. I don't know where I would start moving towards it. Selfishly, I hope you don't give up blogging so we can follow your journey and see what becomes of all this but I understand if you do. I, for one, am thankful for the information that i have gained about this community!
ReplyDeleteJessica
May I be the first selfish person to post my opposition??
ReplyDeleteI'm reading Shane's book now, too-- bought it for Husband last week. And I can totally understand about the computer being a sub for relationships. I'm prone to that too. But can't it also be a tool FOR you to connect with others, even others in your real life? What about controling its influence on your time rather than banishing it altogether?
I'm sure you all are thinking through this without my protestations, though. And whatever happens, I respect the heck out of your for being willing to change your lives to walk in obedience.
But man, I'd miss having contact with you, Beth!
That book looks awesome! My husband would love it, I'm thinking it would be a great read for him and he'd love a small christmas gift.
ReplyDeleteWe too have been contimplating the simpler lifestyle. TV isn't as important in my life as it used to be. In fact, we came down to basic channels for news and such and I barely have it on during the day and evening.
Internet has become my outlet just as you speak of. It's so easy to grab a quick recipe, to blog, to email family members. and instead of making lasting friendships in real life, we tend to make friends with those ((while wonderful friends)) that we can control the amount of contact with via email and such on the net. I'm great at distancing myself from others both online and in real life.
What better way to change than to start going back to the art of letter writing to family and friends, to go to the library when we need recipes and other information we seek from the internet. To read instead of watch tv. To hike and bike and walk instead of sit in the living room watching tv and such.
It's going back to simpler things without constantly relying on technology to entertain us or do things for us.
I am so with you. While having a computer right now is beneficial to my husbands college education, we plan to someday have our homestead, live off the land, have chickens, goats, sheep and such, and get rid of the tv and even internet and rely on the library, radio, books and our surroundings.
Thanks for your post! We too are struggling with this very issue. I'll be interested to see how you deal with it and also how God plans to direct doug and I as well concerning this very subject.
Love in Christ,
Rebekah