Friday, October 13, 2006

Company

About...wow...2 months ago (time flies!) we had some friends come up from FL to visit for a few days. (Oh yes...and to attend the UT/Gators game in Knoxville. I was afeared for their very lives, but they made it home safe.)

The first day I took Kim and Bill out to the Holston Dam for a picnic, and the weather was perfect!!

Here's the view off the backside of the dam. It's the largest earthen dam in the nation, and it's quite impressive.

We spent time on the back porch, as all good southerners do, and Buck took a great liking to our visitors. I must say he was rather spoiled....it was like relatives coming to visit. *grin* They even let him sleep in the bed with them! (Which he's never allowed to do with us, because I'm not that keen on fleas and such.)

Next day we went to Steeles Creek, a vast park about 5 minutes from the house. So we can leave and be in the quiet woods in no time.

The pics don't do it justice. (I guess they never do though.) I can't wait to go back when the color's in.

On Sunday we took a trip to White Top Mountain, which was heavenly. The Appalachian Trail runs along the side of the mountain, over to Buzzard Rock. It's a much better hike than coming all the way down the hill from the road, and then hiking the 1/2 mile back.

Anyway, we were hiking along when someone discovered....blueberry bushes!!

Somehow we didn't feel at all guilty about taking food from the animals of the mountain. Mmm. They were SO good...

We climbed up and sat on Buzzard Rock, which drops off on the other side.

We just sat in the grass and talked, enjoying the view.

DH and Buck were running around, of course. A man and his dog...

Then we hiked over to Lover's Leap, which drops off a couple hundred feet. Whew!

All in all, it was a very happy time. Here's our little "family," minus cat and chickens.

4 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Breathtaking photos and such happy people. Thanks for commenting on my blog. I used to have chickens within the city limits (when I lived in CA). They are messy and the initial investment is expensive (dh complained about having to build a coop), but I sure did enjoy them. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful place to see & visit. You must have had a awesome day - these photos are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on being Featured Blogger! I'm enjoying reading your blog. I want back yard chickens, too!! I've been trying to talk my husband into them for several years. Others in our town have them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on being the weekly blogger!!


    Thanks so much for posting those wonderful photos. My in-laws live in Blackwater, VA (the tiny tip of VA btwn TN & KY) and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE NE TN!! We'll be moving up in the next few years to our lovely homestead on the ridge complete with creek & spring.


    Find joy in your day!

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete