Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The beginning....

Ok....we're going to take a little trip back in time to how A (dh) and I met, and then our engagement. Ready?


First off, I worked at this place called the Indianapolis Training Center for 6 years, from age 19 to 25. Yeah, I know, that's a long time. But it was good for me in some ways...and it was there I learned to do picture framing and ran a small frameshop for 5 years. That training has been invaluable, and is something I really enjoy.


The TC was basically a place for homeschooled kids to go and receive special course education in cosmetology, computer classes, music, culinary arts and other things. It's a branch of a much larger organization. And I'll leave it at that.


 



So I spent my days hiding in a little shop, wondering what I was going to do with my life, and with family far away in FL. Little did I know that there were eyes upon me, and change was coming. (I hated change.)


One day, this guy comes in the shop with a project. It was this beautiful print of a John Singer Sargent painting, called "Lady Agnew."


 



Little did I know that he had been watching and developing a plan to get to meet me and find out some things. This included conning his sister into getting some info on me in trade for a steak dinner! And he started bringing projects in on a regular basis, along with his family members. They are a sneaky bunch. *grin* Good thing, 'cause I was pretty sheltered and scared of a relationship at that point, and if I had caught on I probably would have bolted. Heh.


So...let's see...long story short, he asked to write me, I said 'yes,' and 10 months later he proposed after a mostly long distance relationship. (I don't advise this...lol. Long distance is good for getting to know about someone, but hardly prepares you for getting married. But you know that already...)


I moved home in 2002, and he moved down to FL to prepare for the wedding that fall. There I was, 25 yrs. old, no real driver's license, trying to plan a wedding while barely being able to handle going grocery shopping. I was on overload and very insecure and unable to make decisions. Argh. I've come a long way since, thank God.


My DH was so patient....he taught me to drive, took me to take the test, helped me grocery shop and do everything. Meanwhile I put him through some pretty rough times because we hadn't spent much time together and I was scared of getting married.


I finally called the wedding off, and we broke up. This was such a difficult time, because we both loved each other, but I didn't realize how much and needed more time to "normalize." Fortunately we couldn't stay apart for long, and got a chance to start over with our friendship as a good base. A's (dh) patience through all the difficult times and willingness to love me no matter what was a shining light in my darkness. It taught me some important things about God and my performance mindset. He is my "perfect fit" and exactly what I needed in a husband.


So a year and a half later, we got engaged (again!). He took me to the the Rollins College Chapel in Winter Park, FL under the pretense of taking some portraiture photos, and ended up proposing in the stairwell under the round stained glass window. It's such a beautiful place!


 





His brother and some friends put together this awesome picnic dinner in the grounds by the chapel, with rose petals strewn down the walk and lovely candles, food and flowers. It was so romantic...lol.





 




 



Within about 10 weeks we were married, on May 22 of 2004. Whew! It was time, and we were ready at long last. With friends and family surrounding us, we tied the knot and said "I do." And there I shall adjourn until the next chapter, where I'll post a few wedding and honeymoon pics.


4 comments:

  1. Aw! That's lovely! Thanks for sharing your story.


    Catherine :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a sweet story!

    emy

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a lovely story you shared! Very nice photos as well! I enjoy reading how couples met. My husband and I actually met on the internet, through a newsgroup we both belonged to at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How Romantic and persistant your husband is. Gods great plan!


    I probably wouldn't have married my husband in any other circumstances than how we met as well. I was the wild one and he, the reserved quiet one. God worked to plan such a fairytale for us as well.


    I loved hearing your story. What beautiful pictures and how neat that his family was all in on it. Sounds like such a loving family you have there!


    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete