We spent our first night in the hotel at Celebration, Disney's perfect little community that they've built. It's kinda cool to visit, but then it starts to get a little creepy. Every blade of grass and every shrub and flower are prim and proper in their place.
We flew out of Orlando and headed for the west coast...so exciting! Landed in Portland, found our rental car, and tried to sleep. Our plan was to head south and visit Crater Lake, and then swing over towards the coast and work our way north. Well, the plan for Crater Lake didn't work that great. We didn't have food, and because it was barely the beginning of June, not all the roads were open. We still had fun playing in the mountain stream before we got so hungry that we had to turn around.
So we made a beeline towards Bandon-by-the-sea. It was amazing! I had been there before and loved it. Orgeon just leaves you in awe at every turn.
Here's Face Rock...can you see the profile looking up and to the right?
We went down and hiked around and saw lots of sea creatures and seals, which was cool. They just bobbed around in the water and seemed rather curious. But that's on video.
Somehow in the back of my head I have this thought that no one really cares about all this stuff....lol. Kinda like you just have to have been there or something. Oh well...I'm going to keep posting and reliving these great memories, and if you're bored that's too bad! Maybe some one will be inspired to visit the west coast some day, and that would be worth it to me. You'll remember it the rest of your life! Visit the east coast first, because it has something to offer, but not compared to OR, WA and CA.
Ok...after Bandon we drove up towards Shore Acres National Park, in Coos Bay. That is a worth-while stop...is you catch it at sunset, while the tide is coming in, it's astounding. The waves crash against this rock and go spraying upwards at great heights. Plus they have some amazing gardens there, with georgeous roses to sniff to your heart's content.
We took our time here, enjoying one of the only sunny days we had.
One of the few pics of myself that I like was taken in the gardens there.

Dh's favorite stop was Newport. It's a neat little fishing town with a fabulous bridge and few touristy things, mostly untouched and home to Moe's Restaraunt which boasts the best chowder money can buy! We had some, of course, and then later on in our drive we stopped at another of their places and filled up on some more! It was the perfect food for the rainy and foggy days on the OR coast.
They had an old ship at one of the docks, used to explore icefields or something.
I had a hard time understanding why dh liked it so much. It smelled fishy, it was kind of dirty with warehouses and such, and the day we visited was wet and drizzly. But he talked about how authentic it was, which is important after living in Orlando where so much is a facade. And it kind of grows on you, a little town like that. So I endure his jokes about moving there, thankful that it's a long ways away and very expensive to move there. *grin*
There are so many pics...I will continue this later as we make our way up towards Astoria.
Thank you so much for this "visit" to the west coast. I'm 50 years old and have never been out west. It was nice to see it through your eyes. Thanks for sharing. It's beautiful!!
ReplyDeleteLove~ Andrea
Would you believe I've been more outside our country than in it? I grew up In New York State ((Upstate)) so I've been to NY, my dad took me to Mass, Rhode Island, and I've been to North and South carolina, parts of Kentucky and I now live in Ohio, but I've never been out west. I haven't seen Yellowstone and some of the other famous monuments, zoos, and parks. It's definately on my list of "To do's".
ReplyDeleteDoug will have more time for vacations once he finally graduates and gets hired in a hosptial. It will be worth while to plan a vacation out west and experience this same thing. Thanks for sharing ((hugs))