Here's a picture of the garden right now...it's so pretty with all the gladiolas and poppies blooming! The tomatoes are loaded down.....no ripe ones yet. And the green beans...State half runners...are climbing well. I also have a row of Blue Lake bush beans behind, and two rows of potatoes, and cabbage and onions. The brussel sprouts are getting big, and you can see the little spouts starting to form at the base of the leaves. Pretty cool! I thought they would be huge plants...the ones I've seen on gardening shows are always about 3 foot tall. Maybe I'll just have little stunted sprouts.
Here's one of the poppies. They are so cool...some are single, others are slightly ruffled, and then there are some completely ruffled, like this one. I picked some seedpods that were ripe the other day, and they are chock full! I was told that they can be used for baking and such. I actually had tried some, and wondered if it was a special poppy that produced edible seeds. These spread like crazy, and look a bit like little lettuce plants before they bolt and produce buds. If anyone wants seeds, send me a message and I'll try to get some out to you. I also will have some larkspur and columbine seeds, if I can get out there to collect them.
My first cucumber. Obviously, I didn't find it until too late, and it was tough as I expected. There have been a couple more, and they got picked and eaten while the seeds were still small. Nothing like fresh out of the garden!
My biggest pepper is coming along nicely. I can't remember where I planted the 2 green plants amongst the others...so I suppose I'll just have to wait and see if it turns bright red or not.
I love the echinacea. I moved these from inside the garden before we tilled everything up. Have you seen some of the new colors? My s-i-l has one each of Sunrise and Sunset. The latter is my favorite, because it's orange. *grin*
Well, that's about it for the tour today! I need to go tend the granola. It didn't turn out too well this time...I think I got a little too much water and it's not sticking together and is trying to burn. Grrr. Anybody have a tried and true recipe? I thought I had this down...
I just love that fence you built! Ieach time you show it, it makes me want to start collecting branch's for a next year project!
ReplyDeleteI do not blog here anymore but have left my name in the pot for comments I leave to other blogs.
My new blog site is http://unusuallyunusualfarmchick.blogspot.com/
Hope you are able to stop by as i will be stopping back to yours more often to read yours. Hmm kefir...I always wondered what it could be used for- or rather what it was. Thanks for the FYI!
~Tammie