Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Green Bean Update

Well, I steamed them for about 6 minutes, dropped them in ice water and then let them dry and drain for a while. So they didn't have water on the outside when I packed them.

I put them in quart freezer zips, and sucked all the extra air out of them...a straw works pretty good. I ran out of time and decided to forego tray packing, to save the extra step and eliminate the task of figuring out how to fit cookie sheets in my tiny freezer!

I checked them this morning, and they look ok, and even break into smaller sized clumps. So that makes me happy. I still have portion control. Guess I'll wait a few days and then try them, to see how the texture is. If the packers can do it for the stores, why can't I? It's worth a try to not have to cook them so long with canning.

No comments:

Post a Comment