Here are the results from my experimentation.
I unthawed them after being frozen for several days, and heated them in a saucepan with a bit of water. I was pleased with the texture...they still had a bit of crunch and the flavor was still very fresh.
So, I decided to go ahead and freeze them all, about 2 walmart bags half full. They are State Half-runners. I still have another bag of Blue Lake to do, and as they are a more tender bean I will have to be careful, methinks.
I put them in the steamer for about 8 minutes, turning them over halfway.
Then they were transferred to ice water and cooled down.
I laid them out to dry pretty thoroughly on a dishtowel.
Then they were packed into freezer zips, and I vacuumed all the air out that I could. So that was that! Oh...and I must give a heartfelt thanks to Rebekah, who came to keep me company and help her silly sis-in-law pick beans in the middle of the day, and then break them all. I would have been breaking them all day without her!
Great news that the beans performed well. I'll try it myself probably Monday.
ReplyDeleteDo you grow the state half-runners yourself? If so, what is your seed source? Have you heard of white half runners? I have neighbors and market customers asking for that variety and I'm interested in finding seeds.
Keep up the great photo work!
Denise B
They really look great! Nice and full pods ~ freshly picked and packed.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing - I love photo's that coincide with directions.
Blessings,
Harriette