Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Artsy Fartsy

I guess I'm making up for my lack of updates recently. Waiting for dh to get home for lunch...

We have been talking about investing in some original art for a long time. We still kick ourselves for not buying one of this guy's while we had the chance. We could have had one like this for $500. Now Oleski's prices have doubled since then. Grr. Plus we just love his style.

So anyway, there is this lady at the Arts' Depot in Abingdon named Nancy Johnson, and she is quit proficient at folk art. She's a lot of fun to talk to, always showing off her latest and relating the story that inspired the work. A couple of her paintings have been sold at Sotheby's, which we took as a good sign of forthcoming value.

So here's the picture that we bought. It portrays her mother feeding the chickens while their father milked the cow. You can see all the children gathered around, glass in hand. She and her lighter twin are on the left. I'm not sure if her parents had a mixed marriage or what. It's interesting to see her other paintings of her mother with both twins in arms...and she and one babe are very light colored.

I love when a person is inspired by their past, because I love to hear about people's lives and how they grew up. It helps me remember that everyone has a story and unique viewpoint, and something to learn about or from.

Oh...dh and I have officially started painting for our show in January. (At the aforementioned Depot.) Here is the start of his piece...apples in pool water. I think he's going to do a series of them, because he has a good stock of pictures that we took back in FL. It's a little dark, but you get the idea. This is just the first layer on the water. I want to make sure to take pics as each of our pieces progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment