Sunday, September 25, 2011

Egg Wolls

So I was trying to figure out what to make for supper, short on groceries, but realized I had the supplies to make egg rolls! Cabbage keeps in the fridge for a surprising amount of time, and so do the wraps. 
As long as you have pineapple in your pantry, you're set. 


I use my big 14 inch iron skillet. By the time it gets filled up I have enough to fill the 15 wraps in the pack. Usually I cook and shred the sausage first, skipped that step because I'm using leftovers. Throw in some onion with a bit of oil, and start chopping cabbage. 


Toasted sesame oil is your best friend. And garlic. And ginger. 
Salt a bit as you stir. Throw in some tamari or soy sauce. 


I used a knob of ginger, one of the branches about 1 x 2" and grated. This will give some kick! Lots of garlic too, cut thin. 






Shredded carrot for color, about 1 1/2. You should't need to add any water. 


 Sausage shopped fine. 



This was one huge cabbage...a half made enough to fill the pan and all the wraps. 



I put the lid on a few minutes to steam the cabbage a bit and soften it more. 
Just pan frying leaves it too crunchy. Let it cook a bit and then dry out. 


 Palm shortening to fry in. I prefer coconut oil, it's much lighter on the stomach, but this will do. 
It has a higher smoke point, and I believe it's a lot healthier than any other kind of veggie oil. 
I really don't fry that often, either. It's a fun treat. 



 Put a spoon of filling in the middle of the wrap and proceed to make an envelope. 
You'll need a shallow bowl of water to seal the edges. 



Seal the two sides, then you'll work the filling down and roll the rest. 
Wet the top point and sides to seal. 






They fry up quick! Probably around a minute total for both sides. 


I keep them warm in the toaster oven.


 Dinner is served! Here is Leon's happy egg roll face, and Daddy's mimic. 











Happy man...tired after two days of work on the house.


Here's the sauce I make for dipping. Have it mixed and ready to thicken, do it right before serving while they stay hot in the oven. The only fault with this recipe is it needs closer to 1 TB of cornstarch. I think it might have been a typo. Also, it's best to use rice vinegar I think, seems a little more mild. 

Now it's....pooty time! Silas has been letting them already, loud and long. Lol!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment