After spending $2.50 for 8 of those little packets, I'm on a quest to find out how to make my own mix. I love that my dh wants a healthier breakfast, but I know I can buy a whole container of oats for that price!
So I'm turning to you, friends. Has anyone done this themselves, and is willing to share the recipe and any tricks involved? (I was wondering if the sugar would settle and be a problem, etc...)
Guess I'll go try a google search too and see if anything shows up.
I also want to thank all of you for your kind thoughts and encouragement on my pregnancy. It is truly a miracle, and I'm just thankful for every day and every growing pain.
I must admit that I compromised on my commitment to using only second-hand clothing. Last night I went and looked through the maternity section, and they had some great things on sale. So I bought 3 tops for really, really cheap, and hope to use one to make a pattern and replicate more for myself. That was my justification anyhow!
Later, I'd like to take a poll from all of you who have used a sling for your baby, about which kind you found to be the best and most versatile. Next time, though.
I have done the oatmeal recipe lately myself. I'll look up the link and get the exact address, b/c this wonderful lady, Leslie, has really done a great service by putting her recipes online.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I found the key to be using quick cooking oats instead of rolled oats. Yes, the recipe called for that to begin with but I didn't have any on hand and decided to use what I had. Not good.
And I portioned them up in sandwich ziptop bags so the whole experience is as convenient as the store-bought box. That avoids the sugar-settling problem.
http://www.heart4home.net/oatmealmix.htm
(Found it easier than I thought I would...)
All the best!
Denise B
Have you tried cooking up the oatmeal ahead of time? We cook enough for three or four days and then each morning just heat and eat. It is very good that way. You might need to add just a little water to it before heating that is if it gets too thick.
ReplyDeleteThis would be cheaper since you won't need the plastic bags to store the dry mix in.
Aaron cooks up a week's worth, pours it into a bread pan, chills it, and then cuts "slabs" of it for breakfast each day. Microwaved or heated on the stove, with walnuts, brown sugar, raisins or craisins, and just a bit of salt, it's divine.
ReplyDeleteWe prefer the Irish/steel cut oats (not rolled flat), but it works with flat oats too.
I also have a great granola recipe if you'd like that-- another healthy way to eat oats for breakfast.
Almost forgot another method we use! I make Gracie oatmeal (steelcut or rolled) and freeze it in ice cube trays, then dump them into tupperware containers in the freezer. Three or four cubes, a cube of frozen applesauce (or half a mushed banana), and a little reheating, and she has oatmeal several times a week for breakfast-- but I only have to cook it about once a month.
ReplyDelete