Thursday, August 24, 2006

Attention!

There is a very important issue coming up in Congress, that has already passed in the Senate. Have you heard about food labeling?

Apparently the food industry has decided that California has set a very bad precedent, and due to so many "abuses" of the labeling laws, have decided to whine and complain and get a national standard implemented to save them some huge denero.

People, this is not good. The FDA is not watching out for us. They can irradiate meat and spray it with viruses, add GMO corn, wheat and soybeans to any food product they want, and we aren't allowed to know about it or choose to be a willing guinea pig. (Did you know...that even the corn syrup in your coke is from GMO corn?)

And apparently it's not good enough to vote and change something in your state. Nope. Twenty years ago...yep, I said twenty years ago California voters changed the labeling laws to make food safer and give them the right to choose. I say not only are we behind the times, but also shame on us, on me, for not caring enough to change things where I live. And fie on those who want to slap CA voters in the face for daring to one-up the FDA and USDA and whoever else gets involved in these things.

It's hard enough to get something changed on a state level...imagine how difficult it will be dealing with issues on a national level! The time to act is now.

Join the fight...get educated, and let your congressperson know what you think!

(Ok...where are those addresses....?)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the information.

    Belle-homesteadgirls

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it's my upbringing in a place where I know my meat doesn't include growth hormones (law), and every detail of a product's ingredients must be declared, but it sounds excessive to require *warnings* from fast food joints that their food might cause heart burn, and the like. Whatever happened to consumer responsibility? Why should the *state* protect consumers from *their own choices*? It's just one step from being rediculuous. There is no such thing as *safe* food. In excess, regular tuna causes poisoning, soy causes cancer in women, kale causes glandular tumors...


    (As for the rest, I completely agree... I just get hung up on the big brother attitude in that first article).

    ReplyDelete